New rules on HS code assignment 2022
December 16, 2022
As of January 2022, the World Customs Organization publishes the 2022 edition of the HS Nomenclature which updates the HS code system.
The HS serves as the basis for tariffs and compiles international trade statistics for 211 countries (of which 158 are Contracting Parties to the HS Convention). The new HS 2022 edition brings significant changes to the HS with a total of 351 sets of modifications covering a wide range of cross-border goods.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Adapting to today's trade through recognition of new product flows and addressing environmental and social issues of global concern are the main features of the HS 2022 modifications.
- Major reconfigurations have been made to subheadings 70.19 for glass fibers and articles thereof and 84.62 for metal forming machines.
- The new provisions for novelty tobacco and nicotine-based products were the result of the difficulties in classifying these products, the lack of visibility in trade statistics and the very high monetary value of this trade.
- The 2022 edition of the HS introduces new subheadings for specific chemicals controlled by the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC).
- The amendments also include clarification of text to ensure uniform application of the nomenclature. For example, there are changes for clarification and harmonization between French and English of the proper way to measure wood in the rough for the purposes of the subheadings of heading 44.03.
How can you prepare for these changes?
The World Customs Organization has published a correspondence sheet that companies can use as a guide to modernize their systems. But before doing so, you should review the current qualifications of your products. Just to make sure there are no errors.
Customers using Crossborderit (CBIT) have the proper harmonized code, the proper value and have paid their duties and taxes before shipping the product.
This makes your job as a Customs Broker very simple. The electronic data you receive from your shippers can help you clear in seconds.
Automate your supply chain, from HS code assignment to electronic declarations, with the help of Crossborderit.